The following presents new data collected as part of a recent Historic Scotland funded project – the Scapa Flow 2013 Marine Archaeology Survey – which aimed to assess the extent and condition of some of the sites around Scapa Flow.
A British iron steamship built by London & Glasgow Engineering & Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Govan in 1878 for Waterford Steam Ship Company, Waterford, the SS Reginald was sold to Clyde Shipping Co., Ltd., Glasgow in 1912. The vessel was purchased by the Admiralty in 1914 and sunk as a blockship on the 15th September 1915.
Though the site is easily accessible from the south end of Barrier 3, the Reginald is not often dived. She is the most striking of the blockship at the Churchill Barriers and lies listing to starboard in two sections in Weddell Sound.
The stern is oriented northwest to southeast in the same alignment as Churchill Barrier 3 which the bow section is slight further northeast of the remains and is oriented north to south.
The stern section is frequently used as mooring point for local fishing vessels who store their gear on a floating pontoon tied off to the wreck. The remains are rusted as there are large sections of corrosion. As the vessel have been cut in half it is possible to see within the lower decks and holds. Parts of the superstructure and railings remain intact, though the boilers and engine have been removed.
The bow section is much smaller. Also rusted with large areas of corrosion, the remains are less intact and extensive as those of the stern. Although a portion of railing is still in situ, much of the metal deck plating has been removed revealing the frames.
Side Scan Data
The site was not side scanned as most of the remains sit above the water at all states of the tide.